Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] How many Calories Should I be Eating?

Matt
 Matt
(@justloseitmatt)
VIP +++ Admin

This is a topic that will no doubt come up a lot so I thought I'd make a quick post about how I personally work our my own calorie deficit.

I started this weight loss journey in January of 2021 and I knew calorie counting is the way I wanted to go with it as I had tried Intermittent Fasting before as well as various other diets, that just didn't work for me.

I knew calorie counting meant I could still eat what I liked and the only caveat was that I had to track the calories going in. 

This was quickly fixed by discovering Nutracheck which is an absolute godsend when it comes to counting calories.

When I first started, I relied on the information given to me by apps such as MyFitnessPal and other online calculators which all seemed to have varying results. It wasn't until I was linked to a nutritionist who explained that in order to work out your calorie deficit you first need to work out your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate ) and then from there work out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

She gave me a calculation that I could use to work out my own numbers and I have been using it ever since.

It wasn't until only a few days ago I decided to take that calculation (in the form of a spreadsheet) and share it with my community and on top of that use the maths to create a calculator of my own. (Click here to view the calculator)

I'm always looking into calorie deficits, always looking to see if there's a better, more accurate calculation, but for me, this one seemed like the best choice. It allowed me as a 28-year-old, 6ft, male who weighs 240lbs to consume 2000 calories per day and still lose weight (in a healthy way).

Obviously, the number of calories it recommends will depend heavily on your gender, age, height, and weight as they are all used in tandem to calculate the deficit.

The calculation used is as follows (it uses the Harris-Benedict Equation to work out TDEE first and foremost)

BMR = 10 * weight(kg) + 6.25 * height(cm) - 5 * age (years) + 5
TDEE = BMR * Activity Level

7 Day Total = TDEE * 7

lbs to lose = Amount * 3500 (1lbs = 3500 calories)

Calories to consume = ((7 Day Total - lbs to lose) / 7)
This topic was modified 2 weeks ago 5 times by Matt

JustLoseItMatt
TikTok Content Creator

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/04/2021 11:19 am
Share: